Driving in Tunnels
- Always turn on the dipped beam (passing) headlights before entering a tunnel.
- Leave at least 50 m. distance from the vehicle ahead of you.
- Do not change lanes without reason.
- Do not make a U-turn or stop in the tunnel unless there is an emergency.
In case of heavy traffic inside the tunnel:
- Turn on the emergency lights (alarm) of your car and keep at least 5m. distance from the preceding vehicle.
- In the event that the traffic is stopped and your vehicle has been immobilized, switch off the engine, close the windows and do not to smoke inside the vehicle.
- Never make a U-turn inside the tunnel.
- Comply with the electronic message signs or the instructions of the tunnel manager.
In case of accident or failure inside the tunnel
- Turn on the hazard lights (alarm) and try to move your car to the rightmost side of the tunnel.
- Turn off the engine.
- Get out of the vehicle, leaving the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.
- Remain in a safe place on the sidewalk or on the emergency parking areas.
In case of fire to a vehicle inside the tunnel
- If possible, drive the vehicle out of the tunnel. If not possible, pull it over to the rightmost side of the tunnel, switch off the engine and leave the vehicle with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.
- If you know how to do so, please use the fire extinguishing equipment located in the tunnel in order to put out the fire.
- Proceed to the nearest exit, following the relevant signs.
Inside the tunnels you will find:
- Every 150 m. – Emergency Roadside Telephones installed on the right side of the tunnel
- Every 50 m. – Extinguishers installed on the right side of the tunnel
- Every 300 m. – Emergency exits
REMEMBER: In case of an emergency, immediately notify the Traffic Management Centre using the Emergency Roadside Phones or call in 1075 from your mobile.
According to the decision of the Hellenic Telecommunications and Post Commision (EETT) No. 966/2 – Government Gazette 5266/B/30-11-2020,we inform all drivers that a call to 1075 is subject to the tariff policy applied by each telco provider. For your information, you may visit the website of your provider or/and the relevant observatory by EETT at: https://www.eett.gr/opencms/opencms/EETT/EETT/ESPA/espa_paratiritirio/index.html